Listeroid Backup Generator

Here we are measuring offsets and welding up a frame to hold the starter motor where it needs to be.

So, I was thinking of dedicating a page to all of the listeroid development stuff I’ve messed around with over the years so I could try and get it all together in one place. There is lots of information still up on Utterpower about why these engines are so unique and sought after. Some real good information there, so if you are unfamiliar with what Im talking about, you should check it out.

Here are some old posts I’ve made on the Fieldlines forum back in 2007 which basically explains how I built the alternator and coupled it. The original posts have disappeared (im assuming through multiple software migrations) however I was able to locate archived versions via the Wayback Machine. They are listed in order below. I also tried to locate Dan Bartmanns listeroid posts from fieldlines (we both had built very similar setups) but I could not find it. Ill update this page if anyone can find a URL.

IMG_532514 inch axial flux for the listeroid

14 inch Axial Flux Listeroid Part 2

14 inch Axial Flux Listeroid MPPT Part 3

more axial flux listeroid experiments

The measured fuel consumption by the way was 9.84KWH/gal  (#2 diesel). While I was performing those fuel consumption tests mentioned in the last post above, I made this video… 

20160520_140939Its worked flawlessly over the years. Some occasional valve adjustments, but thats all. Over the course of 2016 I decided it would be fun to add electric start to this engine. This was primarily because I had grown tired of trying to start it in the cold (the only time we ever needed to run it, when solar PV production was low during winter months). I also wanted a place to keep and run it, out of the 20160524_190620weather. 

I had to figure out a way to activate (and deactivate) the fuel supply to the engine. I figured I would focus on the injection pump, as I never wanted to lose prime. There are a few changes I can make to allow it to be more fail-safe, but it seems to work great this way so far…

To sum up the finished project over the course of 2016, I made this video explaining a bit about how I made it work…

I also put a bunch of images in the Image Gallery showing different stages of this project. 

Related Images:

Guemes Island WA

January 2017

Dan Bartmann and I traveled to Guemes Island to install a 10′ homebrew turbine on the island. The turbine was to replace the machine installed at the General Store by Hugh Piggott during an SEI workshop That Hugh and Ian Woofenden (amongst others I think) taught on the island in 2003. For years it worked real well. The store changed ownership a couple of times, and was unoccupied for a bit. The turbine fell into disrepair so it was in need of replacing. Dan built a 10′ machine in CO and drove it out. Ian and I helped him install it. I also took care of a few other things for Ian such as inverter card upgrades and transitioning him to OpticsRE for remote monitoring/control.

Images have captions explaining a bit about whats happening.

listeroid electric start

Here is the electric start system that I built for my Listeroid 6/1 backup generator. It’s a real lifesaver during these cold Wisconsin winters.  In this particular video, its not very cold, but it gives you an idea of how easy it is to start. Ive noticed that I absolutely need to use the glowplug if its 0 degrees F or below. It cranks fine, but it will not start without it. Ill have to make some more videos of this system when its a bit warmer I think. The fuel system and a few safety features have already been updated, so this video is a bit out of date although its still fun to watch.

Related Images:

Hey there…

Hello Internet!  I haven’t had a site up for a few years as I’ve been pretty busy. Im trying this out in hopes that it alleviates some of the time involved in sharing things that Im up to (plus, we dont want to put it all on facebook!!)

This also has a learning curve, so expect the site to change often and morph into some sort of searchable gallery and portfolio as I have the time to populate it.